The amalgamation ceremony took place between Saint Alphege Lodge No.1431 and the Lodge of Hope No 4436 at the Warwickshire Masonic Temple 2 Stirling Road on Thursday 20th January 2011. It was the first such ceremony to take place in this province, presided over by the RW. Provincial Grand Master David F. Macey. More than 120 Masons attended a magnificent ceremony.
Saint Alphege lodge No 1431 was originally consecrated in 1873 and took the name of Saint Alphege from the Parish church in Solihull opposite the George Hotel. Saint Alphege was no legend but a real Saxon Churchman who in succession became a Priest, Abbot, Bishop and ultimately Archbishop of Canterbury in 1002. He became renowned for his charitable works and for his courage dealing with the invading Danes.
The Lodge of Hope No 4436 was consecrated on 26th June 1922 by the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand master of Warwickshire Colonel W.F. Wyley it was originally named Hope Lodge but a wife of one of the founders pointed out that this was the name of an institution for fallen Girls so a change to the Lodge of Hope was made. The Lodge survived through the War years when two bothers gave the ultimate sacrifice.
The Lodge of Hope and Saint Alphege has a flourishing social program and now holds its regular meetings between October and April in our new home at Saint Pauls Club, Saint Pauls Square, Birmingham.
A more detailed history is available of both lodges on request from the Lodge Secretary